After graduating Sahira landed a job as Research Scientist with the Department of Biodiversity, Conservation and Attractions, and is now continuing her work on the Great Southern Reef in the Ngari Capes marine park
Regime shifts and tropicalisation of temperate reefs (PhD)
In marine environments, there is increasing evidence that climate-mediated marine heatwaves and range shifting tropical herbivores can have profound impacts on temperate kelp forests. My project aims to determine the relative importance of marine heatwaves and tropical herbivores in driving persistent change and the degradation of kelp forests on the Great Southern Reef – one of Australia’s most productive and globally unique ecosystems.
Supervisors: Thomas Wernberg, Adriana Vergés (University of New South Wales)
2014: B.Sc. (Marine Biology), University of Western Australia, Australia
Peer reviewed publications
- Pessarrodona A, Verges A, Bosch N, Bell SY, Smith S, Sgarlatta P, Wernberg T (2022) Tropicalization unlocks novel trophic pathways and enhances secondary productivity in temperate reefs. Functional Ecology, accepted 22/11/21.
- Wernberg T, Coleman MA, Babcock RC, Bell SY, Bolton JJ, Connell SD, Hurd CL, Johnson CR, Marzinelli EM, Shears NT, Steinberg PD, Thomsen MS, Vanderklift MA, Vergés A, Wright JT (2019) Biology and ecology of the globally significant kelp Ecklonia radiata. Oceanography and Marine Biology: An Annual Review, 57: 265–324.
- Bell SY, Fraser MW, Statton J, Kendrick GA (2019) Salinity stress drives herbivory rates and selective grazing in subtidal seagrass communities. PLoS One, 14(3): e0214308.
Achievements and awards
- 2020: Grant winner, The Holsworth Wildlife Research Endowment
- 2020: Finalist, Ocean Awards 2020.
- 2020: Successful nomination of The Great Southern Reef Mission Blue Hope Spot.
- 2019: Winner, ‘Best Impact Presentation’, Species on the Move conference, South Africa.
- 2019: Grant winner, Convocation Postgraduate Research Travel Award for 2019.
- 2019: Work experience, Department of Biodiversity, Conservation and Attractions.
- 2019: Grant winner, The Holsworth Wildlife Research Endowment.
- 2019: Media, interview on the Great Southern Reef aired on PerthNow.
- 2018: Grant winner, Sea World Research Foundation.
- 2018: Supervisor, MS student Alanna Kursar.
- 2018: Grant winner, Robson & Robertson Awards.
- 2018: Grant winner, The PADI Foundation.
- 2017: Grant winner, The Holsworth Wildlife Research Endowment.
- 2016: Research Training Program Scholarship for a PhD at UWA.