My research covers a broad spectrum of topics, but my primary interests lie in the ecological interactions in and around shallow sub-tidal habitats. Although my interests are broad, and the principles I study general, much of my work has focused on temperate seaweed-dominated habitats such as kelp forests.
My research provides understanding of how coastal habitats might respond to stressors such as climate change, invasive species and eutrophication. By working across sub-cellular to macro-ecological scales and connecting fields such as physiology, ecology and biogeography, my research has contributed to an integrated understanding of the complex processes that drive the ecology of near-shore marine environments.
I am an Editor-in-Chief for the journal Aquatic Botany and an Associate Editor for the journals Journal of Phycology, Marine and Freshwater Research and Frontiers in Marine Science: Global Change and the Future Ocean. In addition I am an active reviewer for a range of journals and funding agencies.
- 2003: PhD (Marine Botany), School of Plant Biology, University of Western Australia, Perth (awarded with ‘distinction’, top 5% of Theses at UWA)
- 1998: M.Sc. (Environmental Science by research), Life Sciences, Roskilde University, Denmark
Teaching & University service
- SCIE2204 Marine Systems (unit coordinator)
- SCIE5505 Global Change and the Marine Environment (unit coordinator)
- UWA Diving and Boating Safety Committee (chair)
Awards and recognition
- 2018: Adjunct Professor, Roskilde University, Denmark.
- 2015: Visiting International Lecturer’s award, University of Cape Town, South Africa.
- 2014: Host, 10th International Temperate Reefs Symposium.
- 2014: Vice-Chancellors Award for Research Excellence, UWA
- 2011: Australian Research Council Future Fellowship
- 2011: UWA Career Development Award.
- 2010: UWA Postdoctoral Research Fellowship.
- 2010: Best Paper, Research Staff, School of Plant Biology, UWA.
- 2005: ECU Research Fellowship.
- 2003: PhD Thesis Distinction (top 5%), UWA.
- 1999: International PhD Scholarship, Natural Sciences Research Council, Denmark.
A full publication list and pdf’s can be found here.
Citation statistics: Google Scholar.
Wernberg T, Krumhansl K, Filbee-Dexter K, Pedersen MF (in press) Status and trends for the world’s kelp forests. In: World Seas: An Environmental Evaluation, Vol III: Ecological Issues and Environmental Impacts, 2e. Ed. C. Sheppard. Elsevier. Accepted 1/2/18.
Wernberg T, Coleman MA, Bennett S, Thomsen MS, Tuya F, Kelaher BP (2018) Genetic diversity and kelp forest vulnerability to climatic stress. Scientific Reports, 8: 1851.
Wernberg T, Straub SC (2016) 3.3 Impacts and effects of ocean warming on seaweeds. In: Explaining ocean warming: causes, scale, effects and consequences (eds. Laffoley D, Baxter JM); Full report. Gland, Switzerland: IUCN. pp. 87-103.
Wernberg T, Bennett S, Babcock RC, de Bettignies T, Cure K, Depczynski M, Dufois F, Fromont J, Fulton CJ, Hovey RK, Harvey ES, Holmes TH, Kendrick GA, Radford B, Santana-Garcon J, Saunders BJ, Smale DA, Thomsen MS, Tuckett CA, Tuya F, Vanderklift MA, Wilson SK (2016) Climate driven regime shift of a temperate marine ecosystem. Science, 353(6295): 169-172.
Wernberg T, Smale, DA, Tuya F, Thomsen MS, Langlois TJ, de Bettignies T, Bennett S, Rousseaux CS (2013) An extreme climatic event alters marine ecosystem structure in a global biodiversity hotspot, Nature Climate Change, 3: 78-82.
Wernberg, T., Smale, D.A., Verges, A., Campbell, A., Russell, B.D., Coleman, M.A., Ling, S.D., Steinberg, P.D., Johnson, C.R., Kendrick, G.A. & Connell, S.D. (2012). Macroalgae and temperate rocky reefs. In: Poloczanska, E.S., Hobday, A.J. & Richardson, A.J. (eds) A Marine Climate Change Impacts and Adaptation Report Card for Australia 2012. http://www.oceanclimatechange.org.au.
Wernberg, T., Smale, D.S., Thomsen, M.S. (2012) A decade of climate change experiments on marine organisms: procedures, patterns and problems, Global Change Biology, 18: 1491–1498
Wernberg, T., Russell, B.D., Thomsen, M.S., Gurgel, C.F.D., Bradshaw, C.J.A., Poloczanska, E.S., Connell, S.D. (2011) Seaweed communities in retreat from ocean warming. Current Biology, 21: 1828-1832.
Wernberg T., Russell B.D., Moore P.J., Ling S.D., Smale D.A., Campbell A., Coleman M.A., Steinberg P.D., Kendrick G.A., Connell S.D. (2011) Impacts of climate change in a global hotspot for temperate marine biodiversity and ocean warming. Journal of Experimental Marine Biology and Ecology 400: 7-16
Wernberg, T., Thomsen, M.S., Tuya, F., Kendrick, G.A., Staehr, P.A. & Toohey, B.D. (2010) Decreasing resilience of kelp beds along a latitudinal temperature gradient: potential implications for a warmer future. Ecology Letters, 13: 685-694